Tuesday, March 09, 2004

Tuesday, March 9, 2004

Tales From Poker Journal Keepers Land



There are some fun, exciting events coming up in our world. Some people call us poker bloggers, others call us journal keepers, diary keepers, typepadders or just idiots (LOL). I guess, since there is no short abbreviation, maybe we should just call ourselves PJK's. Well, how about this? That is what I'll say from now on, you decide for yourselves. Sometimes I put myself into the role of leader, yet have no followers, haha!



The WBT II is coming up tomorrow. Is anyone going to make any over/unders? Please don't leave it to me again, you saw how ridiculous mine were last time! If you are a PJK, and you want to play, make sure to get in touch with Iggy and get an account on True Poker, stat.



Please, if you are a husband/wife team and both want to play, don't succumb to temptation. Iggy makes the rules on this one, but I have the right to complain and call a foul if I see it. Just don't do it, it's not right.

------------------------------------

After this next tourney, I am going to finish rounding up the weekly players and get that ball rolling. Right now we have 18 PJK's wishing to play. I would like 25 before I submit a list to Planet Poker, who will host the PJK's in a weekly tourney on Sunday's. Roy Cooke is extremely accommodating and will do his best for us. Please write me if you want in, since we only have 18 so far.

------------------------------------

I am not the sharpest tool in the shed, okay? If you want something from me, like for me to link you on my site, or for some advice, please just ask. I am not prone to taking hints well. I get confused, just like when someone tries to tell me a joke. I just DON'T get it. Don't play around with me, because it makes it more frustrating for myself and for you. Just come out with it. I'm like a man, not some coy woman. Blunt and candid seem to work, playing games and little hint dropping drive me out of my mind, what little of it there is left.

------------------------------------

There are a few of you who used to correspond with me. You either wrote me asking for help on a particular poker subject, or I wrote you with an offer of help.



A couple of you stopped writing back in mid-conversation. I'm not sure if there is a problem with you receiving my e-mails, me receiving yours, or you just finally realized I didn't know what I was talking about, so you thought if you stopped writing back, I would let it die out.



At any rate, if you are still looking for help, don't think I stopped the correspondence. Please try to send me your e-mail again. I will definitely not stop trying to help, if you still want it.

------------------------------------

I have decided to elaborate a little bit more on my bad run. I think this might help people who underestimate just how badly one can be beat, for a long, long time. I have tended to, in the past, avoid talking about bad beats and bad runs, deciding to, instead, make light of them, laugh and quip sarcastic little comments. I do this because I hate hearing other bad beat stories, so I don't say much about my own. I also do this because, to me, poker is not an emotional game. I do the best I can with the cards I'm dealt and the opponents at my table, but I cannot control the randomness of the flop, turn and river. If I'm beat, I'm beat, no matter what miracle card comes out of that deck. I tend to downplay just how bad a run can be, and that causes others to form a chain-reaction opinion that bad runs can't last forever (most of the time, for them, "forever" is a few sessions, a week, maybe two weeks). I'm talking about months, even years.



So in the future I will elaborate a bit more on how badly I've been running. I'm not going to cry and lament over bad beats like Hellmuth, I'm just going to try to illustrate to you that it is possible to lose several NLHE tourneys in a row without ever winning a hand. Several is not 3, 4, 5. Several can be a dozen or more.

------------------------------------

There are lots of PJK's who have lapsed in their writing. Some of them don't even update once per month, much less once per week. Here is a shoutout to those I read everyday, who have stopped updating. If you wish to still be included in my links, please write me a line, because if not, I am going to relegate you to some back page. It is more fair to those who are struggling to honor us with their writing more consistently.



1) Garro

2) Opener's

3) Royal

4) Suited Trash

5) Poker Code

6) Vagaries

------------------------------------

In the Yahoo Journal, anyone is allowed to set up a link for themselves. That is super cool for me. If you spam, however, your link will be deleted. Someone by the nick of wsop.dk came in and spammed everything there, then took off. Nice try, lol.

------------------------------------

I have stopped updating my database due to it's clumsiness. It has nothing to do with my bad run in tourneys, I just hate the format. Believe me, I am still keeping stats, and will provide them. I have no shame. Shame doesn't run very highly in someone like me, who is totally candid. I'm an open book, all you have to do is ask. Just because I'm running horribly right now doesn't mean I'm a bad poker player. I've never been that great, but I know where my strengths lie, and I'm not in the least ashamed by it. Trust me, I have no pride, I just hate the setup of Yahoo's database.

------------------------------------

I think all of this ranting is enough for now. Screw you guys, I'm going home.