Friday, April 01, 2005

Some Friends and Heros

Today I thought I would talk about some other players, instead of myself, for once (lol).

Barry Greenstein has been somewhat of a mentor to me. Not that we are super close, that he comes to my house for dinner or anything. But we do exchange e-mails and just observing him, while asking him questions about my own play, has provided quite a bit of an uplifting spirit to my life and my game.

Max Pescatori has been kind to me from day one of the WPPA fiasco. I would write more, but I have written so much already that he probably feels like I'm a butt kisser. I truly love Max, and saying the word "love" is a big deal in my book. Max has had his share of hardship, and has worked from the ground up, in both life and poker. He is a huge inspiration!

Shirley Rosario has recently changed her webpage. Please update your links. There is a lot to be learned from Shirley, and if you are avoiding her page because it is pink, or because you think you cannot learn from female players, you are doing yourself a great disservice.

Ted Forrest was the person I first looked up to in tournament poker. He and I played for over 8 hours at the same WSOP Stud table, and I was more impressed by him every one of those hours. Not only is he a world class player, in every sense of the word, but he is a world class human being, too. Now, if I could just get him to respond to e-mail more frequently...

Dr. Alan Shoonmaker was one of the first rocks I met in Hold'em. I met Dr. Al when I was first learning HE. Back then there were no 1/2 or 2/4 games in Vegas like there are now. The beginners went to Excalibur and played $2-6 spread limit HE. That is where I met Dr. Al, who had infinite patience. I didn't even know who he was, that he wrote for Cardplayer or had a book! I remember thinking he was a rock, that he liked tons of pillows and that he handled himself very well, psychologically, which is something I always notice, because I try to be a model of good sportsmanship at the table.

When Dr. Al learned about my cancer, he offered some free shrinking, lol, which is probably what I need. I have probably always needed to be shrunk, haha. Seriously, though, it is more about just talking over the phone and letting out all of the frustration of having cancer and getting no answers. He was never a clinical psychologist, but the point is, he offered to help and has always been a great friend!

Carl Frommer has been one of my best friends and mentors since the WPPA days. Carl took 5th in the second biggest WSOP event ever. He is a fantastic player and a wonderful, loyal friend.

Simon Trumper finally renewed his contract with UK Betting. Thank God! Now we will get to read those fantastic journal entries again! Thanks for the great jokes, Simon!

Glenn Bagrowski is my true hero. He has been by my side for nine years now, and has listened to all of my little dramas. He has to put up with a high strung, masculine personality, while he himself is laid back and passive. He has to listen to all of my rants and raves. He has to read not-so-flattering things about himself all over the Internet written by yours truly. And yeah, his farts are vicious. They make mine look tame in comparison!

Felicia :)