Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Cleve and the Riverside

Well, just as soon as I decide I'm invincible (mild winter+flu shot+pneumonia shot) I come down with a cold.

What better time is there to write my Tolkien behemoth than when I'm drunk on Nyquil and hacking up a lung? Okay, nix the Tolkien. I'll try to keep it short and sweet with a fun story.

Last night we went to the Riverside for some juicy 2-6 O8 fun. I am very careful in cardrooms, always washing my hands as many times as I can. I try not to use my hands to eat with, after having touched the table, cards and chips. Guess I wasn't doing a good enough job, because I woke up in the middle of the night with a cough.

Anyway, I don't write about the RS enough, and I should, because it is definitely the funniest place to play. There are enough stories to fill a book in that place. Even though it has cleaned up somewhat, with the gaming commission cracking down on them and the removal of Bear et al, things just don't get much crazier than the RS, for it's size.

Last night Cleve was playing with us. He gets fed up with O8 at times and refuses to play. Then he comes back. He always comes back. He is not your typical happy-go-lucky tourist. He is unhappy when he wins, unhappy when he loses. I never really realized just how unhappy of a guy he is until last week when Glenn left the table for a good HE game and Cleve said, "Good! I'm glad he's gone! I don't like him!"

Anyone who has ever met Glenn or had dealings with him knows that it is almost impossible to dislike Glenn. He is the most easygoing guy on the planet. This is when I knew Cleve was truly unhappy.

So last night Cleve was sitting by me. The game got a little tight, for O8, and Cleve was complaining about it. He was pointing to each player, "He doesn't play, she doesn't play, he won't play..." because we don't play every hand like Cleve. He hates it that some players will fold before the flop, and always expresses his dislike for this practice. So I volunteered, "Oh, you want someone to play every hand pre-flop? Okay, I'll do it, I'll be your guy." And I did.

Of course, I ended up outdrawing Cleve by this practice, and won a decent pot off of him (top and bottom pair, checked on flop, turned into a full-house on turn).

Cleve wasn't so happy that I decided to play every hand after all. As soon as another seat opened (across the table from me in the two seat, I was in the nine), Cleve asked for a seat change. LOL, poor Cleve. So much for wishing outloud, you may just get what you ask for.

Okay, it's time for me to try to get in a nap, if I can just keep from coughing up a lung in the next couple of hours. Hope you enjoyed the story.

Felicia :)