Friday, June 23, 2006

When Do You Release Your Winning Hand?

Do you remember this post? Maybe you didn't even read it all, because I have posted dozens like it over the years. The main thing I want to point out in that post is the part where I talk about holding on to your cards until you are stacking the chips from the pot, and sometimes even after, if there is any doubt whatsoever.

Although that post was meant to be somewhat humorous, in response to Matt's excellent post about what makes a "good" poker blogger, harhar, most of what I was saying in such a ranting way is absolutely true. You must protect yourself in poker. This cannot be stated too many times. I know, without a doubt, that so many of you are sitting there, reading this, sighing and shaking your head. "Oh, blah, once again Felicia is telling us the most elementary things that ALL of us know, because we are such poker gods and never screw up..."

Yep, you're all so great that I see you in poker rooms giving up giant pots because some angle shooter took advantage of your supreme poker prowess. None of us are above getting scammed. I have seen Phil Ivey get scammed in a moment of distraction, and you can, too. I certainly have.

So read this post on Two Plus Two, and really think about it. Commerce is filled with scum, and most people know this. The thing that tends to confuse victims at Commerce the most is how fast the play there is. I am usually the fastest Stud player at the table, wherever I go...EXCEPT Commerce. At Commerce, I am the one requesting "time" at least once per session. The dealers there are very fast, and very competent, on the whole. The players play extremely fast, to get more hands per hour, especially when we are paying time. They are action junkies, too, and if they have to fold a hand on third, it is almost a national tragedy for them, so naturally they want to get the hand over with as fast as possible, so that they can move on to the next starting hand. Commerce is one of the only places I've played where dealers rarely have to ask daydreaming players to put their antes out. The players are ready for action, and that makes even some very seasoned, out of town vets (like me), make more mistakes. I purposely force myself to slow down and play in the manner I'm accustomed to playing (which is already pretty fast, compared to the octogenarians at Bellagio). In perhaps 100 hours of live Stud play at Commerce I've never been the victim of a known angle shot. But I have been the victim of cheating (if you're really that interested, read the archives).

Please, I'm trying to help, not hinder your poker journey. Protect yourself!

Felicia :)